For availability or further information contact Events, tel (02) 6201 9462 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Australian Academy of Science's Shine Dome has been a Canberra landmark since its construction in 1959. Refurbished as part of the Centenary of Federation celebrations, the Shine Dome has excellent acoustics and the latest technological equipment recently upgraded and is located just a short walk from hotels, tourist attractions and city shops.
Ian Wark Theatre
The main auditorium, the Ian Wark Theatre, is
suitable for meetings and lectures and is equipped
with modern technology and audiovisual equipment. The ground level seats 150 in armchair comfort, the upper level has 34 seats with desk facilities plus 50 bench seats to extend the total capacity of the theatre to 234.
The Jaeger Room boasts views of Lake Burley Griffin, New Acton and the National Library.
The Jaeger room is ideal for:
- Morning/afternoon tea
- Cocktail receptions
- Breakout groups
The Becker Room is a permanently set boardroom style room with conference facilities, plasma screen with laptop in-put for smaller presentations.
The Becker Room can seat up to 20 people and is ideal for:
- Executive meetings
- Training sessions
- Working lunches
The Foyer has a large marble floor entrance, equipped with a registration desk, large luggage cabinet (which can hold up to 100 carry-on size bags) and is ideal for displays associated with your event at the Shine Dome.
The Fenner Room is perfect for small breakout groups of 10 or less and can be used as media room during your conference.
Shine Dome Capacity Chart
|Room||Maximum number of people per seating style|
|Ian Wark Theatre||--||234||--||--||--||--||--|
*Please note- if round tables are required you will need to hire these externally and arrange for delivery
Audio visual equipment
The Ian Wark Theatre is equipped with a fully integrated audio visual system.
|Half Day AV Package (Ian Wark)||$975|
|Full Day AV Package (Ian Wark)||$1375|
Available equipment is as follows:
Lapel microphones (3)
Podium microphone (1)
Panel microphones (4)
Laser pointer (2)
Hand held microphones (4)
Over-ear microphones (2)
MP3 audio recorder (1)
The half day and full day AV package includes:
- an experienced audio visual technician on site to assist presenters and operate the Academy’s audio visual system in the Ian Wark Theatre during your event;
- creation of title slides to announce speakers, breaks and other important information during your event;
- presentation computer and vision switcher to seamlessly switch between title slides, speaker presentations and videos;
- editing of audio recording of your event if required.
Should you require additional AV, such as live streaming, video recording…etc. please contact our preferred AV supplier for a quote. Details below.
Academy approved AV companies
- One Vision
Folding trestle tables, stackable chairs, white boards and flip charts are available upon request. Additional items required can be arranged through a hire company. Please contact the Events Manager for details.
The Shine Dome has a limited amount of trestle tables and stackable chairs available for organiser’s use.
Free wireless internet access is available throughout the Shine Dome. Conventional internet access is also available from ports located in the Becker room.
A message board can be made available to organisers and placed in the foyer near the registration desk.
A photocopier is available for the use to the organiser.
A registration desk is located in the main foyer and hirers should arrange to have this occupied by their representatives at all times to ensure only authorised attendees gain access to their function.
The Academy has a list of approved caterers who work at the Shine Dome on a regular basis and provide excellent service, are licensed under ACT Health Protection Services regulations and hold public liability and workers compensation insurance cover.
Hirers should negotiate directly with caterers for their requirements. Caterers should provide all the crockery, cutlery, glassware, linen and staff required for the function.
There is a well-equipped kitchen adjacent to the Jaeger Room. The kitchen is large and equipped with a warming oven, electric stove, small microwave and an industrial dishwasher. The kitchen must be left in ‘as found’ condition – any additional cleaning costs will be charged to the hirer.
Please advise attendees that the forecourt area of the Shine Dome is ‘set down and pick up only’.
Public parking areas are situated close to the Shine Dome off Gordon Street and McCoy Crescent. A fee is payable during business hours – there is no charge in the evenings or at weekends.
Click image to enlarge map
Two (2) disabled parking spaces are available within the Academy car park. Access can be arranged by contacting the Events Manager.
The Shine Dome is also equipped with wheelchair access and disabled facilities.
- Approval to hire the Shine Dome is given on the basis that the hirer will not, in any publicity, imply the Academy’s support for the hirer or the event. Specifically, no reference should be made in publicity to the Australian Academy of Science or any form of that name.
- All references to the building in publicity should ONLY be to:
The Shine Dome, Gordon Street, Canberra ACT 2601
- Photos of the Shine Dome for publicity purposes related to events are available from: Events Manager
- If the Academy has reason to believe that any function may adversely affect its reputation or the security of its staff or property, it reserves the right to withdraw its permission to use the building without liability other than refund of any deposit.
- The Shine Dome is a heritage listed building and therefore there are limitations to the fixing of posters, banners etc to walls. Hirers are asked to respect the heritage aspects of the building, and to consult with the Events Manager in this matter.
- Hirers are requested to emphasise in their publicity and at the commencement of their function that food and drink is not to be taken into the Ian Wark Theatre.
- The Academy reserves the right to recover costs for any damage to the premises or equipment or loss of equipment occurring during the period of the hirer’s occupancy.
9.00 am-5.00 pm
One to Four hours
5.00 pm-9.00 pm
|The Shine Dome
|Ian Wark Theatre||Must Hire All Areas||Must Hire All Areas||Must Hire All Areas|
minimum 2 hours
minimum 2 hours
* Hire of the Shine Dome after 5:00pm on weekdays and during weekends and public holidays attracts the following additional charges from the time of access until the building is vacated and secured.
Care Taking Charges
|Weekday evenings (after 5:00pm)||$40 per hour|
|Saturday (all day)||$45 per hour|
|Sundays & public holidays (all day)||$50 per hour|
All prices are inclusive of GST.
Early access to the Shine Dome
Access for set up/pack down before 9.00 am on the day of hire is included in the hiring cost.
Access for setting up on the previous day incurs normal hiring costs for that day as noted above.
- By Electronic Funds Transfer directly to the Academy's bank account.
- By eftpos
- Credit Card (MasterCard/VISA)
- By Cheque payable to the Australian Academy of Science and forward to
GPO Box 783, Canberra, ACT 2601