Science at the Shine Dome 2012
Australian Academy of Science Teacher Awards
The Academy sponsors a teacher from each state and territory to attend its annual Science at the Shine Dome conference in Canberra. The conference activities include the New Fellows seminar, presentations, education workshop and annual symposium. The 2012 symposium will be titled 'Antarctic Science: from Mawson’s expedition to today'.
On 2 December 1911, Dr Douglas Mawson established a base on Antarctica that initiated Australia’s future involvement in Antarctic research. This symposium will be a fitting commemoration of that expedition, highlighting modern Antarctic science and drawing links to historic Antarctic research on biology, geology and the atmosphere.
Those who attend the Science at the Shine Dome conference will:
- learn about the latest research across a range of science disciplines
- meet and talk with renowned scientists and young researchers
- network with interstate education colleagues.
The award includes:
- registration for all Science at the Shine Dome events
- return airfares to Canberra
- accommodation for the nights of 2 and 3 May (also 1 May for awardees from Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory)
- a formal dinner with Fellows of the Academy and an informal dinner with young researchers
- lunches, morning and afternoon teas on 2-4 May.
More details can be found on the Teachers' Program page.
Applications close on Monday 5 March 2012.
Selected applicants need to arrange their own release from work, complete an evaluation at the end of the symposium, and provide a brief report by September 2012 on how they have disseminated information to professional colleagues. Successful awardees will also be required to give a 10 minute presentation during the Teacher’s Workshop describing some of the techniques and/or resources they have used to successfully teach science to students.
Copies of the teacher presentations given in 2011 can be accessed via the links here.
For further information contact:
Phone: (02) 6201 9466
Fax: (02) 6201 9494
|These awards are supported by the Australian Science Teachers Association|