Australia-India Senior Visiting Fellowships
The call for applications for travel in 2012-2013 has closed. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of this grant in mid-October 2012.
The Australian Academy of Science invites applications from Australian researchers with extensive professional experience and an academic publication record for the Australia-India Senior Visiting Fellowships. Indian researchers interested in travelling to Australia should apply through an equivalent program for Indian scientists administered by the Indian National Science Academy (www.insaindia.org/index.php).
The Senior Visiting Fellowships supported by the Australia-India Strategic Research Fund (AISRF), a platform for bilateral collaboration in science jointly managed and funded by the governments of Australia and India (www.innovation.gov.au/science/internationalcollaboration/aisrf/Pages/default.aspx).
The fellowships are open to Australian researchers from the public, not-for-profit and commercial sectors to facilitate targeted research collaboration, short visiting lectureships and networking activities.
Applicants should propose a program of activity developed in consultation with the host organisation in India. Proposals will be assessed on the scientific merit (including the value of collaboration with India), the demonstrated achievements of the applicant in the context of his/her career to date and the value of the expected outcome of the research project to Australian science. A letter of invitation from the host institution(s) commenting on the proposed collaboration and including an undertaking that any research in which the visiting fellow is engaged will be conducted in accordance with relevant laws, codes and regulations must be submitted with the application.
The fellowship is not intended to supplement or extend either study or sabbatical leave that is being conducted overseas and support will not be given when the primary purpose of the visit is to attend a conference. Commercial sector-to-commercial sector travel is not eligible for support.
Fields of research
Any field of natural science (basic and applied), engineering science, mathematics, statistics and health. Applicants engaged in multidisciplinary research are invited to apply but should note that proposals for research solely in the humanities, social or behavioural sciences are not eligible.
The applicant must:
- be a senior scientist, university professor or other researcher with substantial professional experience, e.g. have been engaged in research for more than 15 years following completion of a PhD degree or equivalent, at the time of submitting the grant application
- be an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, living in Australia at the time of submitting the grant application (if you were not born in Australia, please provide proof of Australian citizenship or Australian permanent residency)
Terms of award
Successful applicants may receive a grant-in-aid of up to the value of $8,500:
- funding towards an international economy class airfare from Australia to the international airport closest to the host institution(s) ($2,500)
- an allowance for travel and medical insurance, visa costs and any internal travel within India ($1,000)
- a daily living allowance of $350 per day (up to the value of $5,000).
Applicants must spend a minimum of 1 week and a maximum of 2 weeks in India. Travel must commence between 1 November 2012 and 31 July 2013. Fellows will be responsible for making their own travel, visa, insurance and accommodation arrangements, in consultation with the host institution as appropriate. Dependents may accompany fellows at the fellow’s own cost. The fellowship does not include support for bench fees and managerial costs.
Successful applicants will be required to submit two reports of their visit, one within 30 days and one 6 months after returning to Australia. The latter report should indicate how the collaboration has progressed. The reports can be found at: www.science.org.au/internat/reporting.html.
To apply there are three steps:
- Complete the online summary sheet
- Complete the application form
- Research Office to submit application form
These steps can be completed at: www.science.org.au/internat/index.html
Materials to be submitted (in the following order)
- Application form (written by candidate)
- Proof of Australia citizenship/Australian permanent residency (only for applicants not born in Australia)
- Recent CV of each host being visited
- Letter of invitation from each host being visited
- Letter of support from department/division head
- Detailed publication list
- One A4 page curriculum vitae
- Referee report
Completed applications, including supporting documentation, must be submitted electronically, in PDF format, by a Research Office or grants office if from the private sector. The application form must be hand signed and dated by the applicant or contain the applicant’s electronic signature.
For further information contact:
Australian Academy of Science
GPO Box 783, Canberra ACT 2601
Phone: 02 6201 9412
This project is supported by the Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education