The Academy has 22 National Committees for Science which are widely representative of its disciplines. The broad aims of the committees are to foster a designated branch or theme of natural science in Australia and to serve as a link between Australian scientists and overseas scientists in the same field. In the latter context, National Committees advise the Academy’s Council on Australia’s representation for the unions and multidisciplinary bodies of the International Council for Science (ICSU) and other relevant international bodies.
The Academy’s National Committees were reviewed during 2012-13 in consultation with the broader scientific community. The implementation of the review’s recommendations, including the restructuring of the committees, is currently taking place.
From 2013, the National Committees for Science will be:
|Agriculture, Fisheries and Food||Crystallography||Information and Communication Sciences|
|Antarctic research||Data in Science||Materials Science|
|Biomedical Sciences||Earth System Science||Mechanical and Engineering Sciences|
|Brain and Mind||Ecology, Evolution and Conservation||Medicine and Public Health|
|Cellular and Developmental Biology||Geography||Nutrition|
|Chemistry||History and Philosophy of Science||Physics|
|Space and Radio Science|
In addition, the Academy’s Council has established the Advisory Committee on International Matters on an ad hoc basis.
The Guidelines for the National Committees for Science have been reviewed and can be found here. Information on the composition of the restructured Committees will be posted once they are established by the Academy’s Council.
The previous National Committees for Science were:
- Guidelines for National Committees
- Guidelines for international scientific meetings held in Australia at the invitation of the Australian Academy of Science
- Australians on International Union Executives
- Meeting of Chairs of National Committees - Summary of proceedings (22 September 2010)
- Meeting of Chairs of National Committees - Summary of proceedings (19 November 2009)
- Meeting of Chairs of National Committees - Summary of proceedings (22 March 2007)
- Meeting of Chairs of National Committees - Summary of proceedings (13 April 2006)
- Workshop for National Committee Chairs - Summary of proceedings (28 April 2004)