RESEARCH AND EVALUATION
2005 Trial research
PrimaryConnections was trialled in over 50 schools across Australia in 2005. Both experienced and non-experienced teachers of science were involved.
The research was conducted by Edith Cowan and La Trobe Universities. It shows that PrimaryConnections had a strong, positive impact on students, teachers, and schools:
- Teachers confidence for teaching science improved significantly
- Teachers reported that their teaching of science had improved
- Students responded positively to the learning approach
- Students learnt more science
- Students used a greater number of forms of representation in literacy
- Students' achievement scores doubled over the course of one unit when assessed against criteria of the national scientific literacy progress map
- Overall time spent teaching science increased
- Overall status of science in the school increased
- Science provided meaningful contexts for literacy learning
To learn more see the Stage 2 Trial Research Report.