The Shine Dome was purpose-built during 1958–59 to house the Australian Academy of Science. The building was designed by Sir Roy Grounds of Grounds, Romberg and Boyd.
The Dome contains a central lecture theatre surrounded by meeting rooms on the ground floor, an upper level with gallery seating, and a basement area. It also contains the Basser Library and Fenner Archives.
The Dome is one of the two culturally significant buildings owned by the Australian Academy of Science. Ian Potter House, the other building, houses the Academy secretariat.
Ian Potter House was built as part of the Federal Capital Commissions building program in 1927, the building represents an early phase in Canberra’s developing social and cultural history. It was the winning design by Melbourne architects, Anketell and Kingsley Henderson, in a competition held by the Federal Capital Commission.
The Australian Academy of Science took possession of the site in 1985 and, following refurbishment during 1986–87, gave the building its current name in recognition of philanthropist and Academy Fellow, Sir Ian Potter.
© 2018 Australian Academy of Science