The Australian Academy of Science is seeking a dynamic, motivated and effective Administration and Engagement officer to join its growing Science Policy team.
The Academy is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established by Royal Charter in 1954. It has an elected Fellowship of around 530 leading Australian scientists who contribute their time and expertise to provide independent, authoritative and influential scientific advice, to support excellence in Australian science, to promote international scientific engagement, and to build public awareness and understanding of science.
This is a key position within a policy and projects group of approximately 15 staff and part of a broader Secretariat of around 80 people who work to support activities undertaken by the Academy
This is an ongoing, full-time position at the Academy’s Officer 3 classification. Part-time appointments (at least 0.6 FTE) may be considered.
|Academy Classification||Base Salary||Superannuation at 17%||Package|
As well as the 9.5% Superannuation Guarantee, the Academy pays an additional 7.5% contribution to superannuation (for a total of 17%). Alternatively, employees may choose to take the additional 7.5% as base salary. Other additional benefits include 17.5% leave loading, paid stand down over the New Year break, flexible working hours, an employee assistance program, options to salary sacrifice and free city parking.
Australian Academy of Science, Ian Potter House, 9 Gordon Street, Acton, Canberra.
Applications for the position must include a cover letter, resume and statement of claims against each of the Selection Criteria.
Applications should be forwarded by email to: email@example.com
Applications close at 5.00pm AEDT on Friday, 18 January 2019.
Further information on the position is available from:
Dr Chris Hatherly, Director, Science Policy
Phone: 0417 209 425
Position title: Administration and Engagement Officer
Department: Science Policy
Responsible to: Director, Science Policy
Responsible for: Nil
Hours: Full time (37.5hrs/week), although a part-time appointment (at least 0.6FTE) may be considered. Interstate travel and occasional work outside normal office hours will be required.
Tenure: Ongoing, subject to funding availability.
Classification: Academy Classification 3(1)
Date reviewed: September 2017
The Administration and Engagement Officer is a new position within the Academy’s Science Policy and projects unit. The successful applicant will support the Director, Science Policy and senior staff in a broad range of policy and stakeholder engagement activities. Activities will range from coordinating invitation lists to parliamentary functions, arranging stakeholder consultation workshops around Australia, newsletter collation and distribution, and member management and invoicing.
The successful applicant will need to be highly efficient with a flair for organisation and an ability to interact confidently with scientists and other stakeholders. They will be responsible for assisting with event logistics and organisation and for coordinating activities and administration across the broader team.
The position will suit someone who thrives in a busy and professional environment, who takes pleasure in getting things done, and who enjoys working with multiple internal and external stakeholders. The position will involve daily interaction with leading scientists and government officials, so will suit someone who ideally has an interest in science and public policy.
Working closely with the Director, Science Policy and members of the Policy team:
© 2018 Australian Academy of Science