Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive
||21 February 2020
||COB Thursday 5 March 2020
||3 year, fixed term contract with possibility of extension
|Full Time / Part Time
||Full Time (37.5 hours per week)
||7(1) – 7(4) (package range of $100,000 - $110,000 p.a including 17% super)
About the Australian Academy of Science
Fellowship of 540 leading Australian scientists. The Academy is a non-profit organisation that provides independent, authoritative and influential scientific advice, promotes international scientific engagement, builds public awareness and understanding, and champions, celebrates and supports excellence in Australian science. This position is part of a team of around 75 staff who work to support the activities of the Academy.
The Executive Assistant to the Chief Executive is a key position within the Australian Academy of Science responsible for supporting the Chief Executive, Academy Fellows, Committees, staff and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have experience working in a similar role, must be solutions-focused, driven and enjoy working within an environment that is mission and results-focused. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations, have strong written and verbal communication, administrative and organisational skills, and be able to maintain balance among multiple competing priorities. They will be responsible for supporting the Chief Executive, administering and compiling reports and discussion papers for the Academy’s Council and Executive Committee as well as professional, high quality administration and coordination services. They must have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work with demanding and competing deadlines consisting of a wide variety of activities and be able to deal with confidential matters with discretion.
- Free parking in the city
- Work in a beautiful heritage site and surrounds
- Up to 17% superannuation
- Annual leave loading for all staff
- Options to salary sacrifice
- Paid Christmas closedown
- Generous employee assistance program
About the Role
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: Academy Administration Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Chief Executive (CE), President, Executive Committee and other senior staff at the Academy (includes running an active CE’s diary and providing ‘gatekeeper’ and ‘gateway’ role, creating win-win situations for direct access to CE’s time and office; arrange complex and detailed travel plans/itineraries, managing correspondence (electronic and paper), sometimes confidential; maintain filing systems to track and archive correspondence and paperwork; collate information; organise meetings; contribute to maintenance of database).
- Provide effective liaison between the President’s office and internal departments; demonstrate leadership to maintain trust and support with senior management staff and other stakeholders.
- Manage the preparation, compilation and dispatch of meeting papers for Council and the Executive Committee of Council, and other high-level meetings.
- As required, attend meetings and prepare draft minutes and assist with follow-up, including tracking actions arising and prompting follow-up actions from responsible officers and senior staff.
- Event Management: Organise catering for meetings and oversee bookings for travel and accommodation for officers of the Academy.
- Manage and reconcile monthly expenses incurred by the Chief Executive and Council members. Including liaising with the Deputy Chief Executive on budget management.
- Supervise the Administration Officer and ensure that the front desk is adequately serviced.
- Lead and mentor other Administration Officers at the Academy to foster an inclusive, diverse and high-performance culture.
- Perform other duties as required, including sharing duties with other staff from time to time.
- Out of hours work (including evenings and weekends) may be required
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant qualifications.
- Experience working in a similar role at executive level.
- High level MS Office skills.
- Background knowledge in governance for not-for-profit
- Experience providing excellent professional executive support services in a busy and complex environment.
- Demonstrated time management and organisational skills, including the ability to set priorities, manage calendars, meetings and bookings and plan work to meet deadlines and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to draft a range of correspondence, presentations and reports, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of a team and ability to exercise independence, discretion, judgement and initiative
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact with a diverse range of clients and respond positively when resolving issues
- Highly developed computer literacy, including experience using business software such as Microsoft Office and databases
- A commitment to workplace diversity, workplace participation, WHS and equity principles.
Further information on the position is available from:
Name: Anna-Maria Arabia – Chief Executive
Phone: 02 6201 9400
How to apply
Applications must include:
- Cover letter and resume.
- Please use the above information as a guide when completing your cover letter, which should be a maximum of two (2) pages. Please summarise how you believe your skills and experience would be a good fit for the role. The selection criteria do not need to be addressed separately.
- Email applications to: email@example.com
- Applications close 5.00pm Thursday, 5 March 2020
To be eligible to apply for this role you must be legally permitted to work in Australia.
The Australian Academy of Science values social and cultural diversity and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the provision of a safe and healthy work environment. The Academy supports and promotes flexible work practices.