The Australian Academy of Science is an independent, not-for-profit organisation established by Royal Charter in 1954. The Academy has an elected Fellowship of around 530 leading Australian scientists who contribute their time and expertise to provide independent, authoritative and influential scientific advice, to support excellence in Australian science, to promote international scientific engagement, and to build public awareness and understanding of science.
This new position is part of a team of around 75 people who work to support a range of activities undertaken by the Academy. The Manager—Diversity and Inclusion will be part of the senior management team reporting to the Chief Executive and will be responsible for working with Fellows, colleagues and stakeholder organisations to realise the Academy’s strategic objective of becoming a leader in diversity, equity and inclusion in Australia’s science sector.
This position will be offered on a 2-year contract with possibility of renewal.
The position is envisaged as full-time, but part-time applicants may be considered. Flexible work arrangements are available.
|Academy Classification||Base Salary||Superannuation at 17%||Package|
The Academy pays an additional 7.5% superannuation contribution on top of the 9.5% Superannuation Guarantee (total 17% superannuation). Alternatively, employees may choose to take the additional 7.5% as base salary. Other conditions include flexible working hours, an employee assistance program, salary sacrifice options, annual leave loading, paid Christmas holiday stand down, free parking in Canberra City, mobile phone and laptop.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The position is based at Ian Potter House in Canberra. Domestic travel will be required.
Applications for the position must include a cover letter, resume and statement of claims against each of the Selection Criteria.
Applications should be forwarded by email to: email@example.com
Applications close at 9.00am AEDT on Friday, 1 February 2019.
Further information on the position is available from:
Anna-Maria Arabia - Chief Executive
Phone: 0412 940 921
Position title: Manager - Diversity and Inclusion
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: EMCR Project Officer and Project Coordinator, Women in STEM Project Manager, Project Officer and Policy Analyst
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hrs/week). On occasions work outside normal office hours will be required.
Tenure: 2 years with possibility of renewal
Classification: Classification SM1
Date reviewed: 18 December 2018
This role has been created to deliver on the Academy’s strategic objective of becoming a national leader in equity, diversity and inclusion in the science sector. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to bring their strategic thinking, drive and leadership to this role, helping the Academy to leverage its standing and reputation to lead by example in achieving significant improvements in diversity and inclusion in STEM in Australia.
The Manager, Diversity and Inclusion is a new position within the Academy of Science that will have responsibility for working with Fellows, Academy staff and external stakeholders to develop and implement the Academy’s diversity and inclusion strategy and grow a transformative portfolio of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs, networks and policies designed to continually improve diversity and inclusion within the Academy and encourage and enable best practice across the STEM sector.
This leadership position will suit a motivated and dynamic professional who is strategic, has a good understanding of diversity and inclusion issues, and is able to engage collaboratively with a range of stakeholders to achieve tangible outcomes. The role will involve extensive engagement with internal and external stakeholders, and the successful applicant will require a talent for connecting with both the motivated and the disengaged to achieve understanding and buy-in.
The role will involve:
Working with the Chief Executive and other colleagues across the Academy:
© 2019 Australian Academy of Science