About the Forum
The Australian Early- and Mid-Career Researcher Forum (the Forum) is the national voice of Australia's emerging scientists, representing researchers who are up to 15 years post-PhD (or other research higher degree), irrespective of their professional appointment.
It examines critical issues including career structure, job security, funding, education, training and gender equity. The Forum engages with early- and mid-career (EMCR) scientists from around Australia and advises the Academy on the key issues raised by younger researchers, to help inform its policy recommendations to government. It also liaises with other national organisations to positively contribute to both Australia's scientific research and the future careers of emerging research experts. The Forum provides a vital connection between Australia's most eminent scientists and tomorrow's future scientific leaders.
- To provide a collective, representative voice for the issues of direct relevance, or of interest, to EMCRs across multiple scientific disciplines.
- To advise the Academy on issues relevant to EMCRs including education, training, professional development, job security, funding opportunities and gender equity.
- To serve as a liaison between EMCRs and national scientific organisations including the Academy, institute-based EMCR associations, CSIRO, industry, advocacy groups, higher education research institutes and universities.
- To monitor social and mainstream media and follow national and international developments in EMCR-related policies and issues.
- To provide information and links to resources pertinent to EMCRs.
- To provide opportunities for EMCRs to contribute to the Academy’s Think Tank and Frontiers of Science meetings, and organise a national EMCR meeting every two years.
2014 Forum committee members
Dr Sharath Sriram (Acting chair)
Dr Andrew Siebel (Deputy chair)
Dr Kate Hoy (Acting Deputy chair)
Dr Nikola Bowden
Dr Raelene Endersby
Associate Professor Andreas Fouras
Dr Margaret Hardy
Dr Oliver Jones
Dr Rachel Popelka-Filcoff
Professor Les Field AM FAA
Dr Camille Couralet
Former committee members
Dr Andrew Brooks (2011-2012)
Dr Ben Chuwen (2011-2012)
Dr Michelle Dunstone (2011-2012)
Dr Krystal Evans (Former chair, 2014)
Dr Marguerite (Maggie) Evans-Galea (Founding chair, 2011-2013)
Dr Giampiero Iaffaldano (2012-2013)
Dr Rosemary Keogh (2011-2012)
Dr Darren Saunders (Deputy chair, 2011-2013)
Dr James Tickner (2011-2013)
Science Pathways is the national meeting of the EMCR Forum. All EMCRs are welcome to attend: find out more.
Submissions and statements
Senate Economics References Committee inquiry into Australia's Innovation System
The EMCR Forum provided a submission to the inquiry into Australia's Innovation System.
Australian Research Council proposed changes to funding rules
Read the EMCR Forum's consultation response.
Gender equity in Australian science – update from the National Health and Medical Research Council
In this position statement, the EMCR Forum congratulates the NHMRC’s ongoing commitment to gender equity in science.
Best practices for postdoctoral progressIn a policy document the EMCR Forum aims to assess the climate for Australian postdoctoral researchers and launches an early- and mid-career researcher survey to find national examples of best practices for career progression.
Gender equity: current issues, best practice and new ideas
The EMCR Forum presents a platform of initiatives that can be used in universities, research institutes and laboratories across Australia to ensure that men and women have equal chances to pursue a successful career in science.