New Fellows 2016
Former Australian of the year and mental health advocate Professor Patrick McGorry and Australia’s Chief Scientist Dr Alan Finkel were among 21 leading scientists to be elected to the Academy in May.
The six women and 15 men have made outstanding contributions to a range of scientific areas including agriculture, advanced communications and cancer research.
Academy President, Professor Andrew Holmes AM PresAA FRS FTSE, congratulated all of the new Fellows elected this year for making significant and lasting impacts in their scientific disciplines.
New Fellows were admitted to the Academy in a formal ceremony in Canberra, and made presentations about their work at the Academy’s annual flagship event, Science at the Shine Dome.
The 2016 Fellows are:
- Dr Ian Allison AO FAA, University of Tasmania
- Professor David Bellwood FAA, James Cook University
- Professor Benjamin Eggleton FAA FTSE, University of Sydney
- Emeritus Professor Geoffrey Fincher FAA FTSE, University of Adelaide
- Dr Alan Finkel AO FAA FTSE, Office of the Chief Scientist
- Professor Simon Foote FAA FTSE, Australian National University
- Professor J. Justin Gooding FAA, UNSW
- Dr John Kirkegaard FAA, CSIRO
- Dr Anna Koltunow FAA, CSIRO
- Professor Geoffrey Lindeman FAA, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor Alexander McBratney FAA, University of Sydney
- Professor Patrick McGorry AO FAA, Orygen: The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, University of Melbourne
- Professor Neville Nicholls FAA, Monash University
- Professor Stephen Nutt FAA, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
- Professor Sarah Robertson FAA, University of Adelaide
- Professor Halina Rubinsztein-Dunlop FAA, University of Queensland
- Professor Susan Scott FAA, Australian National University
- Dr Daniela Stock FAA, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute
- Professor Fedor Sukochev FAA, UNSW
- Professor Toby Walsh FAA, UNSW
- Professor Naomi Wray FAA, University of Queensland
The Academy also admitted two new Corresponding Members:
- Professor John H Spence FAA, Arizona State University, United States
- Professor Matthias Hentze FAA, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Germany
More information on the new Fellows and new Corresponding Members